現在の位置 : TOPページ談話会案内2014年度 > 第1385回 天文学教室談話会

第1385回 天文学教室談話会

日時

2014年6月2日(月) 15:00

場所

大輪講室

講演者

Dr. Fronefield Crawford III(Department of Physics and Astronomy, Franklin & Marshall College)

題目

A New Search for Radio Pulsars in M33, the Triangulum Galaxy

要旨

Radio pulsars are excellent laboratories for the study of fundamental physics owing to their extreme physical properties and the high-precision measurements that are possible. To date, 99% of all radio pulsars that have been discovered are located in our own Galaxy. The remaining 1% are in two nearby dwarf galaxies, the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds. No pulsars have yet been detected beyond the Clouds. New observing technology at the 305-m Arecibo radio telescope has recently made the detection and study of such distant pulsars a promising possibility. One excellent search target is the spiral galaxy M33 (the Triangulum Galaxy) in the Local Group. M33 is located 15-20 times farther from us than the Magellanic Clouds but is still very close by extragalactic standards. The discovery of pulsars in another spiral galaxy would constrain the neutron star formation process, probe the poorly-understood ionized intergalactic medium, and help us understand pulsar evolution during early stages. Pulsar detections from M33 are most likely to come in the form of large-amplitude, single "giant pulses" that some pulsars (including the well-studied young Crab pulsar) have been observed to emit. Other manifestations of neutron stars that might emit giant pulses may also be detectable. We estimate that our search should be sensitive to every single "Crab-like" pulsar residing in M33 that is beaming in our direction. I will describe the new search of M33 for pulsars, discuss the motivating features and technical challenges of the search, and outline the current status of the search.

ご注意

  • 今後の予定は、都合により、やむを得ず変更される場合がございます。その場合には、このページおよび掲示にておしらせいたしますが、変更の反映まで時間がかかる場合がございます。ご了承ください。
  • 談話会についてのご相談、またはこのPageに関するご意見・ご質問等は下記連絡先までお願いします。
  • 当談話会ではいつでも講演者を募集しております。その際には発表タイトル、連絡先を、二週間前までにお送りくださいますようお願いいたします。

【The Colloquium Committee in 2013】
Shijun Yoshida (yoshida<at>astr.tohoku.ac.jp)
Takahiro Masuda (takahiro.masuda<at>astr.tohoku.ac.jp)
Mihoko Kato (m.kato<at>astr.tohoku.ac.jp)
   <at>-->@

All Rights Reserved. Copyright (c) 2011 Tohoku University Astronomical Institute .